Traditionally smoking was a way of preserving food prior to the invention of chemicals and refrigerators. Despite the invention of the modern ways of food preservation, humanity, through several culinary trials and error has come up with best methods of smoking making the traditional method of smoking food survive till today.
The culinary trials and error upgraded the smoking method to another art and science of cooking food in which best delicacy is prepared. Meat smoker is the tool used in smoking.
Based on the source heat that is used to produce smoke, there are five different types of meat smokers;
- • Electric smoker This utilizes electricity to produce heat which in turn causes the wood to produce smoke. The advantage of electric smokers is that it is easy to regulate the heat by dialing to the right temperatures. The two disadvantages it has is that it is expensive and produce less smoked flavor compared to other types.
- • Wood smokers This is the most recommended type due to the pure flavor it gives. The setback, however, posed by wood smokers is the difficulty to keep at a constant temperature which therefore demand a lot of attention compared all the other types.
- • Propane smokers This is the best substitute way to go for people living in areas where electricity is scarce or very expensive. It uses gas-fueled flame to make wood pellets smolder and produce smoke. Propane smokers are simple to use.
- • Pellet smokers This is very similar to wood smokers but in this case the pellets are placed in an oven-like compartment. The disadvantage it has is being very expensive.
- • Charcoal smokers This is somewhat cheap and most preferable among barbecue masters due to the likelihood that it gives more flavor in comparison with electric smokers. Going through the above classification, you will be able to make an informed and wise choice on the best meat smoker for the money that will suit your needs well. The slow cooking process of meat smokers will work wonders for your chunk meat; from Beef briskets, Pork shoulders and Waygu beef. In smoking meat you pick the wood depending on the type flavor you require. Different types of wood give the best flavors when used to smoke specific type of meat. Examples of the wood and the recommended type of including the following;
- • Applewood- pork, fish, and poultry
- • Maple- poultry, and ham
- • Mesquite- use with other woods
- • Oak- big cuts of meat
- • Cherrywood- red meat and pork
- • Alder- poultry, fish and white meat
- • Hickory- red meat Outstanding meat smokers for the money in the market today is Traeger and Green Mountain Grill.
Both have the advantage of having a grill beside being just smokers. They also have the temperature control that enables you to choose between high and low temperatures. However, these two have differences in their features and how they are ranked which prompts me to review both of them to make your shopping much easier.
Traeger Vs Green Mountain Grill reviews In terms of size, Traeger has grills more than 600 squares inch which make it suitable for preparation of meat for you and many people while Green Mountain Grill is smaller making it suitable for an individual or two people. Green Mountain Grill is easier too since it has the wifi enabled grill that one can regulate the temperature using the mobile app on his smartphone. Traeger grills are still a little traditional.
Green Mountain Grill has digital that is used for temperature control by use of buttons. You can adjust to a minimum of 150 or 500 degrees Fahrenheit using the app on your mobile. Traeger, on the other hand, has LED display but smaller temperature range compared to Green Mountain Grill. Traeger has four legs that provide a lot of stability while Green Mountain Grill has legs which fold up and down provide less stability compared to grill. Meat Smokers for the money provide you with freshest and high quality smoked meat. Make your best choice today based on the above information and get one for yourself.